Indoor Flag Football Rules
Connecticut Sportsplex Official Adult Flag Football Rules
1. The style of play is 7 against 7
2. There is no grace period for 6:30 games. At 6:31 the game is a forfeit.
3. If a team forfeits, they MUST repay the $50 fee before they can play another game.
4. There is no 2 count rule!
5. Please do not allow kids on the sidelines.
6. All teams must have their waiver roster completely filled out before the first game. Maximum roster 14 players and must have a photo ID on them
7. All teams must have matching game jerseys (same color) and must be tucked in. A player will not be able to play without a shirt that is the same color as the uniform.
8. NO TAUNTING
9. End Zone celebrations are acceptable if the player is celebrating and not taunting
10. Only a coach or captain can question a penalty. Each team shall designate a field captain who speaks to the ref. before the game at the coin toss; only they have a right to speak to refs.
11. If a verbal challenge evolves the players involved shall sit out the remainder of the game and the next game. If it continues the player will be thrown out of the league.
12. Should a fight develop the coach should react in the following manner: Secure your sidelines, Remove your player(s) from the field, supply the names involved to the referee, if you refuse to give the names, your entire team will be banned from the league. If allowed back in league, a team fine of $50 dollars must be paid before the team is eligible to play again.
13. Should a fight develop and a player or spectator comes off the sideline, that team will forfeit the game and be subject to further penalties.
14. Pass interference is when a receiver is impeded or his flags pulled prior to catching the ball. Defense only has 3 yards from the line of scrimmage to make contact with the receiver.
15. Three man offensive lines with one right or left guard eligible, eligible guard will wear a flag belt. Center and ineligible guard can’t wear flags.
16. Defensive line must rush a minimum of 2 players and the defensive men cannot be any further out then the outside shoulder of the farthest offensive line.
17. The game will start on the 5-yard line; you have 4 downs to cross midfield when you cross midfield you get a new set of 4 downs to score.
18. On 4th down you have the choice to go for it, or forfeit 4th down and the opposing team will take over at their 5–yard line.
19. One foot inbounds for legal reception, the other foot can not be on the ground out of bounds
20.Live blocking on THE LINE ONLY!! NO DOWN FIELD BLOCKING. It is more like a screen in basketball.
21. NO EXCESSIVE PUSHING OUT OF BOUNDS!! (judgment call for refs) When a player is bumped out of bounds or goes out on his own, the player can come back in but may not be the first player to touch the ball.
22. Offensive line will have a 1-yard zone, from the line of scrimmage to 1 yard into the defense.
23. Fumbles result in a dead ball
24. Each half will be 22 min. There will be a 2-minute warning in the 2nd half. Each team gets 2, 30-second time-outs per half. There is a 3-minute half time.
25. Players can’t dive to advance the ball. They can jump but must land on their feet; you must have one foot in bounds for a legal catch. You can dive to catch the football
26. No stiff arms, Ball carrier can’t lower shoulder or head or charge through a defender, you must try to run around defender.
27. Extra point from the 5-yard line 1 point, from the 10-yard line 2 points.
28. Extra point turnover can’t be returned by the defense for a score.
29. After team scores, the opposing team is given the ball on their 5-yard line.
30. All ties are decided by college tie breaker. Each team receives 4 downs from the 10-yard line to score and if no one scores each team will receive 4 downs from the 5-yard line. After a touchdown in overtime you go for the extra point.
31. If a team is short a player they can play with 6 players, but the opposing team can still choose to use 7 players. Also with 6 players you still must use a center and two linemen. You will have1 less wide receiver If a player gets ejected from the game, you must continue with 6-if 2 players get ejected, the game is over and that team losses
32. The center must snap the ball between his legs.
33. Mercy rule, 18 points in the 2nd half at the 20-minute mark.
34. Only 7 players are allowed on the field at any given time, this includes huddles. No sleeper play, a player must be in bounds and in play at all times
35. A ball carrier is not down till his flags are pulled off, if the ball carriers flags inadvertently falls off, then one hand touch rule will be in effect. If a ball carrier falls on the ground with his flags on, a defender needs to touch him with 1 hand. If the ball carrier is not touched he can get back up and run. If a player starts play without a flag then the 1 hand touch is in affect
36. A defensive player can’t hold or grasp a jersey or pants of the ball carrier in the attempt to pull a flag.
37. The ball carrier can’t use their hands, arm or the ball to guard the flag.
38.When the passer is throwing the football, if his arm is in motion and the flag is pulled, the pass is legal.
39. No blocking below the waist. You can open hand or arm block, NO HOLDING
40. Only one forward pass per down and the passer must be behind the line of scrimmage. Any numbers of backwards-lateral passes are ok.
41. “Inadvertent whistle” the play is dead where the ball is when the whistle was blown.
42. Only Triple Threat Flags will be used.
43. Anyone knotting flag belt will be kicked out of the game and suspended
44. A 25 second clock will be started when the referee sets the ball.
45. At the coin toss the winner has the choice of: receive the ball, kickoff, which goal to defend or defer to the 2nd half.
46. The referee at his discretion may remove anything he deems dangerous, hats must be backwards
47. The football to be used NFL or College.
48. On a safety you get 2 points and take over at the 5-yard line.
49. After the 2 min warning. Any delay of game will result in a loss of down and 5 yard loss
50. Clock stops under the 2 min warning
51. On penalty, both offense and defense, clock starts when the ball is placed.
52. Rushers must come from inside the tackles and not the corner
53. Clock doesn’t stop on a dead ball penalty under last 2 minutes in the first half
54. You get one answer on whether to go for 1 or 2 points
55. You may have 1 player on your roster that is on a roster in a different division.
56. In the case that you can not field a team, the other team and you may decide to allow your team to pick up a player, you must tell the refs and the player you pick up must be from a lower division.
57. Forfeits will not be tolerated, when you forfeit a game, you will not be eligible for playoffs and you will lose your forfeit fee.
58. If you field an illegal player (any person not on your roster) you automatically lose the game as soon as the ref and/or league manager is notified.
-Illegal Procedure = 5 yards, repeat down, dead ball, no play
-Off Sides = 5 yards, repeat down
-Contact Offense = 10 yards, loss of down
-Contact Defense = 5 yards, from point of foul or basic spot, automatic first down (illegal hands to face)
-Fighting = Suspension
-Flag guarding, stiff arming, diving and lowering shoulder =5 yards from point of infraction, loss of down
-Pass interference = offense – 5 yards, loss of down
-Pass interference = defense – distance, 1st down
-Unsportsmanlike Conduct (tackling, cheap shots, ECT) = 10 yards, if it gets called on the same player twice, they sit out the remainder of the game.
-Offensive holding = 5 yards repeat down
-Defense holding = 5 yards, automatic first down
-Blocking downfield = 5 yards
-Penalty on the 5 yard line = half the distance to the goal line
-Delay of game= 5 yards, loss of down
-Passing over the line of scrimmage= 5yds and loss of downs.
-If ejected from a game you must leave the dome AND you must sit out the following week’s game.
-Suspensions are at the discretion of the league commissioner and the CT Sportsplex.